What to Know
- Download and unzip font file.
- Double-click the file and select Install.
This article explains how to install fonts on Windows 7 using a couple of methods as well as how to uninstall them if you change your mind.
As of January 2020, Microsoft is no longer supporting Windows 7. We recommend upgrading to Windows 10 to continue receiving security updates and technical support.
Safely Add Fonts to Windows
As with any type of file or software you download onto your computer, you want to be sure that any fonts you install are safe.
- Look for fonts on reputable websites or as part of curated lists on a website you trust.
- In addition, make sure you select the correct download button. Ads containing misleading graphics that resemble download buttons can trick you into installing something potentially dangerous.
A good place to find fonts that you know are safe is the Microsoft Typography Page. You'll also find lots of information there about current and developing Microsoft fonts.
Unzip the Font File
In most cases, new fonts will download to your computer as ZIP files. Before you can add fonts to Windows, you must unzip or extract them.
- Navigate to the font file you downloaded, which is likely in your Downloads folder.
- Right-click the folder and select Extract All.
- Choose the location where you want to save the unzipped font files and select Extract.
How to Install Fonts on Windows 7 From the Font Folder
Fonts are stored in the Windows 7 fonts folder. Once you have downloaded new fonts, you can install them directly from this folder, as well.
- To access the folder quickly, press Start and select Run or press Windows key+R. Type (or paste) %windir%\fonts into the Open box and select OK.
- Go to the File menu and choose Install New Font.
- Navigate to the location where you saved the extracted font.
- Select the file you want to install (if there are more than one files for the font, choose the .ttf, .otf, or .fon file). If you want to install several fonts, press and hold the Ctrl key while selecting the files.
- Select Copy Fonts To Fonts Folder and choose OK.
How to Install Fonts from File
You can also install fonts in Windows 7 directly from the downloaded font file after you have unzipped it.
- Navigate to the font file you downloaded and extracted.
- Double-click the font file (if there are multiple files in the font folder, choose the .ttf, .otf, or .fon file).
- Select Install at the top of the window and wait a moment while the font is installed onto your computer.
If you decide you don’t like a font after all, you can remove it from your computer.
- Navigate to the Fonts folder.
- Select the font you want to remove and press Delete (or select Delete from the File menu).
- Select Yes if a prompt window appears asking if you want to delete the font(s).